Diaphragms/Caps with spermicide
What is the Diaphragm/Cap?
Diaphragms are circular domes made of a flexible latex (rubber) or silicone with a flexible rim, to be used with spermicide. A cap is smaller and made of latex or silicone, to be used with spermicide (spermicides are chemicals that kill sperm). They fit inside your vagina and cover your cervix (entrance to the uterus – womb) and come in different shapes and sizes.
How effective are they?
92 – 96%
- Can be put in anytime before sex. You only have to use it when you have sex.
- It has no serious health risks.
- You are in control of your contraception.
- Putting it in can interrupt sex. If you have repeated sex then extra spermicide is needed.
- Some people find spermicide messy.
- It can take time to learn how to use it.
- Cystitis can be a problem for some women who use a diaphragm.
- Some people are sensitive to the chemicals in latex or spermicide, which may cause irritation.
- It doesn’t protect against Sexually Transmitted Infections.